Us Legal Permanent Resident

As a U.S. citizen, you can ask certain members of your family to immigrate to the United States. Your spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21 and parents are considered immediate relatives and do not have to wait for permanent resident status (beyond the processing time of the application and interview process). Your married children and children over the age of 21, as well as your siblings, are considered preferred parents and may be placed on a waiting list to immigrate. The waiting period for siblings can be several years. If you have conditional permanent residence, you must use Form I-751 (Application for Waiver of Residence Requirements). Can permanent residents sponsor family members to come to the United States? After a certain period of time — five years in most cases, three years for spouses of U.S. citizens — permanent residents can apply to become U.S. citizens through a process called naturalization. Permanent residents (often referred to as green card holders) can live and work permanently in the United States. While most nonimmigrants must document their intention to leave the U.S. after a period in the U.S., green card holders should intend to stay in the U.S.

The length of your absence from the United States will be measured from the time you leave the United States until you pay the Form I-131A filing fee. Conditional residents whose cards have expired must also prove that they have filed Form I-751, Petition to Remove Residency Requirements, or they will not be eligible for boarding film. A permanent resident may travel outside the United States and must present a valid alien registration card upon return to the United States. In addition, a permanent resident should travel with an unexpired passport from another country. Each time you return to the United States, you will be subject to the same grounds for inadmissibility as when your application for permanent residence was approved (for example, medical conditions, certain criminal activities, terrorism, national security, public charges, wilful misrepresentation, and false applications for U.S. citizenship). Permanent residents receive a « foreign registration card » informally called a green card (because the card used to be green). You can use your green card to prove your eligibility for employment and apply for a Social Security card. Can I travel outside the U.S.

as a permanent resident? There are several ways to obtain permanent residency in the United States, including: This information is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The submission of these documents is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and the receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not respond to the information contained in this FAQ without first seeking advice from a qualified attorney. A green card (officially known as a permanent resident card (PDF, 6.77 MB) allows you to live and work permanently in the United States. The steps to apply for a green card vary depending on your individual situation. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), also known as « green card » holders, are non-citizens legally entitled to live permanently in the United States. LPRs can accept a job offer without specific restrictions, own property, receive financial assistance at public colleges and universities, and join the military. They can also apply to become U.S. citizens if they meet certain eligibility requirements. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides for several broad categories of admission for foreigners to obtain LPR status, the largest of which focuses on the admission of immigrants for the purpose of family reunification.

Other important categories include economic and humanitarian immigrants, as well as immigrants from countries where immigration to the United States is relatively low. Yes. Permanent residents can apply for their immediate family members (spouses and unmarried children) to be granted permanent residence and join you. However, their family members are considered « parents preferred, » meaning that only a limited number of immigrant visas per year are available to people in this category, and so they are likely to spend many years on a waiting list before being allowed to enter the U.S. or obtain a green card. For more information, visit the USCIS website. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) are foreign nationals who have been granted the right to permanently reside in the United States. LPRs are often referred to simply as « immigrants, » but they are also referred to as « permanent residents » and « green card holders. » A lawful permanent resident (LPR) has the right to live and work in the United States. Please note, however, that since LPRs are not U.S. citizens, they use only very limited services at U.S.

embassies and consulates abroad. When can permanent residents apply for U.S. citizenship? As a general rule, applications for naturalization cannot be expedited. There is an application for expedited naturalization specifically for spouses with permanent residence of a U.S. citizen if that spouse with U.S. citizenship accepts an overseas assignment on behalf of a U.S. employer. Turnaround times for the N-400 at various USCIS offices can be found here.

An LPR can apply for approval in the United States. with their permanent resident card, provided they have resided outside the U.S. for less than one year and have retained residency in the U.S. An LPR with sufficient reasons to remain outside the United States for more than one year may apply for re-entry authorization. The application for authorization to return must be submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) before leaving the United States. Re-entry permits are valid for two years from the date of issue and cannot be extended or revalidated. Permanent resident cards cannot be renewed or reissued outside the United States. Failure to return to the United States under the validity of one of these documents may jeopardize permanent resident status.